Monday 12 May 2008

Into the Wild

I was lacking serious conviction in my aspirations to visit Olympic National Park mainly due to the lack of acclaim that others had bestowed upon it. Buoyed by another reasonable weather report I decided to go for it. What a rewarding decision it proved to be. Brian dropped me at Lake Cresent where I failed to locate the 'informal campground' that I had been told about. In the process of searching for it, I happened upon one of the most beautiful scenes I've seen in a long time. A remarkable vista of the tranquil lake with the late evening streams of sunlight bouncing off the ripple-less water.



I cooked my dinner and sat there soaking up this riveting moment. While the independence of traveling alone provided me with the great experiences I had at the hostel in Vancouver and hitching for the past week, it is not a process devoid of the negative. To be honest I would have preferred to have one or two of my pals with me but what about it.


Lying alone in my tent, freezing my ass off, in the middle of the deep forest, unable to sleep for the fear of bears (who are very common and pretty dangerous) with only my measly new swiss army knife as protection I was cursing my choice to travel alone! The following night I remedied my insomnia with a 6 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

So on monday night I sailed into the Bright City Lights of Seattle.............

No comments: